In this easy-to-follow step-by-step guide I’m going to walk you through the process of setting up a WordPress website. It won’t even cost you anything to get started!
Step 1: Visit the Cloudways website
Visit the Cloudways website and click on the ‘START FREE’ or ‘GET STARTED FREE’ button.
Step 2: Sign up for a free trial
Complete the signup screen and click on the ‘START FREE’ button.
Step 3: Check your email
You now need to go to your email and find the activation email from Cloudways. Click on the Activate Account button.
Step 4: Launch your free trial server
You can now add names for your app, server and project if you want to. These are really meant for users who are running multiple sites or servers (and they’re easy to change later) so you can leave them at the defaults.
The next three choices you have to make relate to the server on which you’re going to host your WordPress site. The choices look rather daunting, but don’t worry – they’re really not (and Cloudways make it very easy to change things if you want to later)!
The server I’d recommend depends on what you’re trying to do. Specifically whether you’re just trying to learn WordPress and/or are building a test site, or building a site that you intend to publish live within the next month or so.
Trying to learn WordPress and/or are building a test site
- Choose Digital Ocean
- Set the server size to 1GB
- Choose the nearest available location to where you are
Building a site that you intend to publish live within the next month or so
- Choose Vultr
- Choose “High Frequency” from the dropdown (rather than “Standard” which is the default)
- Set the server size to 1GB
- Choose the nearest location to where you expect your website visitors to be
- Note: If the nearest location to where you expect your website visitors to be isn’t available then I’d recommend you follow the instructions for someone trying to learn WordPress and/or building a test site but choose the nearest location to where you expect your website visitors to be (rather than where you are). You can change it when the location becomes available on Vultr and you’ll save a bit of money in the meantime.
Click on the ‘LAUNCH NOW’ button.
Step 5: Wait (you’ve probably got time to make a coffee) and then switch to the applications screen
In my experience it normally takes 7 or 8 minutes for the server setup process to complete.
Once it does, move the yellow slider at the top from ‘SERVERS’ to ‘APPLICATIONS’.
Step 6: Select your application
Click on ‘Your Application’.
Step 7: Make a note of your WordPress login details and launch WordPress
Make a note of your username and password.
Step 8: Login to WordPress
Enter your username and password and click on the Log In button.
That’s it – you’ve set up a WordPress website!
If you’re looking for advice about choosing a domain name for your website then you might want to read my article about the things you should consider when choosing a domain name.
Other articles you might like to read:
- How to register a domain name
- How to point your domain name at your website
- How to install an SSL certificate on your website
- How to install the Kadence theme on a WordPress website
- How to install a Kadence starter template on a WordPress website
- How to add an online shop to a WordPress website
- How to set up a click-and-collect service on your WordPress website